Immigrate to Canada under the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Unless you have authorization to work or a certificate of qualification in your trade that is issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority, you will need a valid job offer from an eligible Canadian employer in order to become eligible under the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

Even if you are overseas, employers in Canada may still consider hiring you if you are highly skilled and there is a high demand for your occupation. Creating an effective CV and an engaging cover letter is very important, especially if you are looking for employment from outside of Canada.

Federal Skilled Trades Program Language Requirements

Demonstrating proficiency in the use of at least one of Canada’s official languages is mandatory for the Federal Skilled Trades (FST) Program. You need to take an English language test and/or a French language test. The minimum scores you need to get for this program are the following:

You should aim to get more than the minimum language test scores. Remember that these minimum scores will only provide you with a total of 24 CRS points. A candidate with an accompanying spouse can get a maximum of 128 CRS points and a single candidate can get a maximum of 136 CRS points just from getting high language test results. Your education combined with high language test scores can increase your CRS score even further!

Do I need an ECA report under the Federal Skilled Trades Program

As there is no education requirement under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, an ECA report is not required. However, not providing an ECA report may have a negative effect on your total CRS score.

An ECA report will state the equivalent of your foreign education in Canada. If your foreign education is equivalent to a high school diploma in Canada, this will increase your CRS score by 30 points. The higher your education equivalent and your language test result, the more points you will be able to accumulate.

Work Experience Requirement under the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Two years of full-time work experience under specific NOC codes is required. You must have had this work experience within the last five years before you apply.

The specific NOC codes with matching job titles are listed in the table below. Note that for you to own this NOC code, you must match the description of the position and the main duties as provided by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).

Listening5.05Compréhension écrite121-150342-374
Writing4.04Compréhesion orale181-216369-397
Reading3.54Expression écrite181-2254-5
Speaking5.05Expression orale226-270

Proof of funds requirement under the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Candidates for the Federal Skilled Trades (FST) program must show that they have enough funds to use for settlement in Canada. The amount needed depends on the size of your family. Generally, this includes yourself, your spouse/common-law/conjugal partner and any dependent children who are 21 years old or younger.

Even if your family members intend to remain outside of Canada, you would still need to count them in when calculating the amount required for settlement in Canada.

Note that you are exempt for the proof of funds requirement if you have a valid job offer.

The amounts are valid from January 01, 2020 to December 31, 2020. The numbers increase slightly each year, ensure that your funds do not go below the required minimum.

Note: New figures will come out in the beginning of 2021, bookmark this page to check again later.

Size of Family UnitSettlement Funds Required
1 person$12,960
2 persons$16,135
3 persons$19,836
4 persons$24,083
5 persons$27,315
6 persons$30,806
7 persons$34,299
For more than 7 persons, additional amount per person$3,492

Calculate your CRS score under the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Immigration to Canada under the Federal Skilled Trades Program uses the points-based system. Your chances of receiving an invitation to apply to become permanent residents of Canada rely on your CRS score and whether you are one of the top candidates (your ranking in the pool).

Find out what your possible CRS score could be. Choose the appropriate CRS calculator based on whether you are a single applicant or you have an accompanying spouse or common-law/conjugal partner. A new tab will open.

Please fill the form to be redirected to the right CRS calculator based on your marital status.

Disclaimer: While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of information on this website at the time of publication, additions, updates, alterations and changes in circumstances may occur between the time of publication and the time the user views the information. Somerset Immigration Consultancy advises website users to verify the accuracy and completeness of the information before committing to any course of action. Ask an Authorized Representative.

“We are authorized by Canada Immigration Law to provide immigration advice and represent immigration clients at the Immigration Refugee Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).”


Your immigration consultant is a member in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) and the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC).

Schedule an appointment

Don't know where to start or uncertain about a step in the process? Let us know how we can help.

Immigration Assessment

Free Assessment of our eligibility to apply for immigration to Canada.